The causative



What is the causative?

û  We use a causative verb when we want to talk about something that someone else did for us or for another person.

û  Maybe we paid, or asked, or persuaded the other person to do it.

 For example:

Form
Past Simple (Active)
Past Simple Causative form
example
I cleaned my house.
I had my house cleaned.
Meaning
This means I cleaned it myself
If I paid someone to clean it


What is the rule for the causative?

Subject + have + object + past participle

I have my car washed.

We can use the causative with all the English tenses, for example:

Present Simple
Subject + has/have + object + past participle
I usually have my car washed in the evening.
Past Simple
Subject + had + object + past participle
I had my car washed yesterday.
Present Perfect
Subject + has/have + had + object + past participle
I have just had my car washed.
Past Perfect
Subject + had + had + object + past participle
I had had my car washed by 5 o'clock.
Present Progressive
Subject + is/am/are + having + object + past participle
I am having my car washed now.
Past Progressive
Subject + was/were + having + object + past participle
I was having my car washed yesterday at 5 o'clock.
Future Will
Subject + will + have + object + past participle
I will have my car washed tomorrow.
Model Verbs
Subject + model verbs + have + object + past participle
I must have my car washed.

Note:

û  We can use Time Expressions with causative form:



û  Get + object + past participle (get something done)

We can also use (subject + get + object + past participle).

This has the same meaning as 'have' but is less formal.

Examples:

ü The students get their essays checked.

ü I'll get my hair cut next week.

ü He got his washing machine fixed.



Negative and Yes/No Questions:

We use axillaries ( helping Verbs) to form the negative and Yes/No Questions.

For Example:

ü Do you have your car washed?

ü I don't have my car washed.



Watch
1
2

Read
1
2
3

Revision 1

talk about medical and other problems ( page 6) Link Visiting a Doctor - English Conversation What exactly are your symptoms? W...